When you sign up for the Sketchbook Project you have to choose one of their themes for your book. I forget what the all the choices were -but I chose "Create & Capture" - it seemed right up my alley. You are allowed to interpret the theme as you wish - I thought it would well with the collage I have been doing.
As a fairly dyslexic person I usually go about stuff backwards so I have been capturing images I like from magazines and creating collages with them and then adding doodles and words to make them my own....
Here are some pages I started for the book:
This fall I signed up for The Sketchbook Project - my book arrived in the mail and last weekend I took a little "me" time and started working on it. I thought I would document it's progress.
|The fun package arrived from Art House Coop in Brooklyn|
|They sent me a notebook to work some magic on and information & rules for the project|
|so the first thing I did was rip it all apart -|
but carefully saved the bar code to reapply to the finished cover
to identify it as mine
|I selected handmade papers for the outside and inside of the cover|
|I decided on the look of an old book -this paper looks like distressed leather|
|I can't live with out Best Test spray adhesive!|
|For the inside of the cover I used a beautiful piece of marbleized paper|
I've been saving to for ages and it was perfect for this project.
|I cut it carefully to size so I didn't waste any of it...|
|Here it is with both papers applied over the original cardboard cover|
but I thought it still needed "something"
|it needed a spine -for this I used a piece of "suede" paper in dark blue - I wrote on it with a metallic pen. The title is "Create & Capture" the theme I selected for my project|
|after creating the spine, I decided it also needed corners -so I sewed the suede paper on my sewing machine|
|I wanted to also create a frontispiece for the front cover so I took a metal file label frame and pounded it flat|
|I then worked on antiquing it...|
|I took an old piece of journal paper and stamped the title to fit in the frame|
|I then glued all the embellishments to the cover and was pleased with the results...|